August 10, 2016

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 08/10/2016

10:34am EDT

Attending:

  • Linda Brady, President
  • Adam McQueen, Vice President
  • Christine Kerl, Treasurer
  • Mignon Ware, Secretary
  • Robert Schuster, District 1 Rep
  • Steve Keele, District 2 Rep
  • Sarah Lochner, District 3 Rep
  • Lakisha Fisher, District 4 Rep
  • C.J. Miller, District 5 Rep
  • Joe Hooker, District 6 Rep
  • Brian Sharp, District 7 Rep
  • Cherie Wood, District 8 Rep
  • Troy Hatfield, PO Advisory Board Rep
  • Susan Rice, Training Coordinator

Secretary's Report

Mignon asked if everyone had an opportunity to review the Executive Board meeting minutes from July. There being no corrections Cherie makes a motion to accept the Secretary’s report. Brian seconds. All in favor. Motion carries

Treasurer's Report

Christine reports that as of July 31, 2016 the amount in the checking account is $64,535.93 and the amount in the savings account is $17,036.75. We are on target with the 2016 budget. CJ motions to accept the Treasurer’s report. Steve seconds. All in favor. Motion carries

Membership

Susan received some membership payments since the last Board meeting. After the Fall Conference notices will be sent out for individuals still showing past due for 2016 and those accounts will be closed out. Encourage those individuals to re-join for 2017. Last notice by October from the District Rep and then a final notice by the Administrator. Discussion. CJ requested an updated District Rep list before October.

As of August 8, 2016: 931 total current members (843 Pos; 34 Corporate). Booth space is still available at the Fall Conference for vendor attendees.

Vendor, TestNotice, contacted POPAI requesting booth space in exchange for technology support at the conference. The product is TestNotice Live. Attendees text “POPAI” to 444999 to subscribe during the conference, and then POPAI can text updates/event information during the conference. Offered for the length of the conference free-of-cost in exchange for booth space. They retain no contact information (it’s in the contract). Discussion. Cherie motions to not allow the company (TestNotice) to provide the service in exchange for booth space. Christine seconds. All in favor. Motion carries.

Education

Susan reports that we already have 307 registrations for the Fall Conference. We will be in a new location /conference area for more space. Vendors will be located in one room. T-shirt designs were submitted and the winning design(s) selected. Discussion. Susan will get a final work up from the T-shirt vendor and send to the Board.

The CPO roundtable session is set. IJC (Jane and some staff) will be present at the table. DOC partners (Deb Braun, Shannon Bowling) will also be in attendance. Topic suggested for discussion with Deb Braun – Mark Carey is partnering with DOC on the audit process / check list expectations. What does that look like?

New Corporate member Alkermes (manufacturer of Vivitrol) are sponsoring an educational dinner on Thursday September 8 at West Baden, by invitation only, for Chief POs and Probation leaders. Twenty individuals currently registered, 30 slots are still available. For future, Corporate Members must request sponsorship 90 days prior to an event.

Susan is working on the 2017 CPO Training/Management Institute/CPO Summit for April 2017. Looking at dates – April 12, 13, 14, 2017 at Sheraton Keystone.  Susan to prepare a save the date email. The PO Annual meeting is still being planned for 2017. Tentative dates – May 16, 17, 2017.

Two million dollars in funding is available. Counties must reapply. Money received capped at $200,000. EBDM counties will be given priority. Grant requests due by September 23, 2016. Discussion on concern over data reporting due to technology differences by department.

Chief's Executive Committee

No report. The committee will meet the Friday morning of the Fall Conference, for breakfast.

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

No report. Linda recently received a newsletter. At next JRAC meeting the Commission on Children and Youth to discuss funding as a result of legislation from Wendy McNamara.

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

Troy said the last meeting was cancelled. The next PO Advisory Board Meeting is October 11, 2016. The Education Committee will have a conference call to discuss Regional Meetings. Discussion ongoing of IRAS/IYAS training. IRAS/IYAS booster is available on incite, piloting recertification in the works. Must be completed by October 2016. Will have further discussion on this topic at the CPO Roundtable.
Christine suggested that a list of questions be generated for the CPO Roundtable in advance.

Election

Adam reports that several absentee ballots were received. Karen to post at the top of the website again. Adam to send a list of those who voted to Susan to verify current membership status.
Recap – President position is a contested race; no one running for District 6. Brian will write an article for the website.
The slate will be posted on the website, for contested race, on August 10, 2016, which will include the intent to run form.

Awards and Recognition

One Line PO and one Founders’ Award application have been submitted. Nominations will be accepted until August 22, 2016. District Rep’s should send an email encouraging Rookie of the Year nominations. CJ will get plaques for outgoing Board Members (Joe and Mignon).
Knepple Scholarship – the 2016 recipient left probation prior to utilizing the scholarship. Does Board recommend Awards Committee investigate requirement that recipient must be employed as PO at the time scholarship is awarded and utilized? Discussion. It’s agreed that parameters need to be established. Christine suggested that an expectation be for the Awards and Rec committee to connect with the recipient soon after awarding. The A and R committee will further discuss for future Board Meeting.

Legislation

Linda was reappointed to the Interim Study Committee on Corrections and Criminal Code. Meetings are scheduled for September 21, September 28, and October 5, all times 1:30pm to 5:30pm.
Final report must be filed before February 1, 2017. Indy Star data for each Chief regarding caseloads and has requested specialized caseload numbers.
Proposal to change the wording to state new offense vs. felony offense. The intent of legislation is for any new offense.
JRAC legislation gives IJC responsibility to staff but no money to manage.
Recovery Works – provides funding limited to felons. DMHA – map of Indiana by counties with clients currently utilizing Recovery Works money. Adam asked If Sara from DHMA could provide language for posting to POPAI website.
JRAC meetings September 22 and October 20 10am-2pm are open to the public.
Annual report – meeting scheduled for Friday for a work group. Dated included and how recidivism will be defined. Christine volunteered for the subcommittee.

The next JRAC meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, August 2, 2016 10:00am – 2:00pm and is open to the public. Linda, Adam, and Christine will attend.
Marion and Vanderburgh County Community Corrections gave presentations at the last meeting. The Marion County plan was approved, while the Vanderburgh County plan was tentatively approved with submission of additional paperwork.

Technology

The website and membership database are working well for us. Job postings and articles are drawing most of the traffic.

Old Business

Indiana Pretrial Release Project/EBDM Pretrial Work Group – IJC gave grants to pretrial counties. Implementation plans submitted. List of data points given to those counties. (6 EBDM counties; 9 pretrial counties). Discussion – looking at what to include in pretrial report; time; frustrating early on but may be rewarding in long run.

There is no progress on the Board, Committee Member, and/or Contractors Job Descriptions.

New Business

Forensic Survey (from JRAC meeting). DMHD contracted with IUPIU to send out survey. Request: send out to all POPAI members. Discussion. Purpose – designed to seek information about mental health and substance abuse. Wanting an assessment from all perspectives. POPAI agreed to send the survey out.
Thinking for Change 4.0 was recently released. The Trainers can be grandfathered in. Adam suggests posting to the website. 3.1 Is no longer available on the NIC website.

Next Meeting The next Executive Board Meeting will be held Friday immediately after the close of the Fall Conference. Cherie motions to adjourn, Brian seconds. Meeting adjourned at 1:20pm EDT.

Reminder Upcoming POPAI Training