October, 2017

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 10/11/17

10:36am

Attending:

  • Adam McQueen, President
  • Troy Hatfield, Vice-President
  • C.J. Miller, Treasurer
  • Susan Bentley, Secretary
  • Robert Schuster, District 1 Rep
  • Steve Keele, District 2 Rep
  • Sarah Lochner, District 3 Rep
  • Lakisha Fisher, District 4 Rep
  • Melanie Pitstick, District 5 Rep
  • Andria Geigle, District 6 Rep
  • Cherie Wood, District 8 Rep
  • Melonie Coan, PO Advisory Board Rep
  • Susan Rice, Training Coordinator
  • Kory George, JDAI Representative

Secretary's Report

Cherie moved to accept and Melonie seconded. Motion carried-report accepted.

Treasurer's Report

CJ reported the accounts are updated with him on it at PNC Bank.  Savings: $17,045.26 as of 9/29/17.  Checking: $ 116,988.96 as of 9/29/17.  Budget Report: sent prior.  All bills from Fall Conference have been paid but will be reflected on the next statement.    All documents have been sent to the auditor and the audit will be happening soon just for checks and balances.  Christine to provide a list of website administrator duties to Susan B.  Susan B moved to approve treasurer’s report, Bob seconded.  All voted, motion carried.

Membership

Susan R. reported that as of 10/3/17, 947 total current members, 877 PO’s, 19 Corporate, and 51 other.  Adam to stay on as chair.

Education

Susan Rice reported Management Institute planning will be in January and is set at The Drury Inn again.   Cherie to stay on as chair.

Chief's Executive Committee

Greg Werich was absent.   Discussion held about whether a new chair should be established to relieve Greg.  Sarah to check with Greg.  This was tabled until next meeting.

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

Kory George reported the state has reassigned strategists.  Nancy Wever is still acting director.  No information on Michelle’s return.  Coordinators’ conference finished last week as well. Delegates from Indiana were sent to Baltimore for a JDAI conference as well last week.  Annual Intersite conference is being planned for French Lick in May of 2018.  Requests for proposals have been sent out.  Six counties were notified this morning that they were eligible to receive performance grants: Allen, Johnson, Henry, Wayne, LaPorte, and Tippecanoe.  Amount is excess of $39,000.00.

JDAI Map with County Assignments 2017

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

Chief training requested again by Jenny Bauer.  Susan Rice had reached out to her and was waiting for dates.  Susan Rice will reach out again.  Next advisory board meeting will be 1/9/18.  Susan Rice will look at potentially scheduling the training around that date.  Sarah reported a new PO academy is going on right now.  The next PO annual meeting will combine Alcohol and Drug Programs, Problem Solving Courts, and Probation.  The Hot Topics Committee is working on combining DOC audit and Standards of Probation Checklist for one go-to check list.  Supervision Committee is working on best practices on the IOCS website.  DMHA also did a focus group on Medication Assisted Treatment as well with the board.  Melonie will continue to be the POPAI rep for this board.

 

Election

Michael and Melanie will serve on the board because they are not up for re-election next year.  Melanie volunteered to be the Chair of this committee.  Bob and Sarah to serve on this committee as well.

Awards and Recognition

Bob Schuster to chair this committee.  Andria and CJ to serve on the committee as well.

Evidence Based Decision Making (EBDM) Initiative

Linda has served on the State EBDM Policy Team since its inception.

Troy reported that Linda plans to clarify with IOCS if she continues to be on the State Policy Team specifically as a POPAI rep, and if so, Linda is asking if there are other POPAI board members that wanted to get involved on this committee.

The State EBDM Policy Team has several subcommittees.  Additional volunteer members are needed for these committees: Pretrial; Data; Behavioral Response (aka incentives and sanctions); Professional Development (training); Risk Reduction Strategies: and Mental Health.

 

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC)

JRAC Meeting held September 22, 2017 and Troy attended as the voting POPAI representative on Adam’s behalf.  Linda also attended this meeting.  The DOC gave report on Data and reported that their population is growing.  1006 Grants will come out in November and will be due in January and notifications will be made in April of 2018 as who receives money.  There will most likely be no money available for new funding.

DMHA reported spending about 1 million per month for Recovery works and anticipate about 8 million dollars left over for potential misdemeanor programming.

Adam reported on the following DRAFT legislation going before JRAC:

Safe Harbor:  involves moving someone from local jail to DOC due to being in danger in local jail.  (ex: informant, police officer, etc.)  Discussion held on whether POPAI wanted to support this change which mainly involves medical situations.  Currently these people are ineligible to go to DOC and this statute is looking at making them eligible.  The consensus is POPAI will support this.

Misdemeanor Pilot:  This involves using funds for Recovery Works for misdemeanor cases.  Discussion held on whether POPAI supports misdemeanor pilot.  The consensus was that POPAI supports this as long as current resources wouldn’t be taken from felony recipients.

Legislation

Adam to chair this committee.  Linda and Michael will serve on this committee too.  Eric Zimmerman and Christine Kerl would also like to stay involved.    Troy will serve on this committee as well.

Adam reported that the JRAC Legislative Sub-committee met on October 6, 2017 and had discussed the prosecutor’s diversion statute and the possibility of adding language to allow the prosecutors to assess additional program fees with the approval of the Court. The JRAC Legislative Sub-committee voted to take this proposal before JRAC.  Discussion held regarding whether POPAI wanted to approve JRAC supporting the Prosecuting Attorneys to add statutory language permitting assessing these additional fees.  Cherie moved that POPAI not support this, Melanie seconded.  Motion carried in a vote.

Adam also reported there was discussion on the length of diversion programs and extending the time frame.  Pre-Trial supervision conditions legislation was discussed as well.  Misdemeanor discussion held as well about making some of these ineligible for probation.

Technology

Troy will serve as the new chair on this committee.  Adam will stay on this as well.  Karen sent this report this week.  Discussion held on how to increase website traffic.

Old Business

Strategic Plan:  Andria, Susan, Cherie, Sarah and CJ met 9/5/17 to get started on this and email went out to summarize this week what was developed.  All were to review and report back with feedback.  Meeting will be held today and members will report back.

Policy and Procedure Bylaws: committee will meet and is made up of Troy, Adam, Michael, Sarah, and Melanie.

Hurricane money collected at Fall Conference and POPAI to match funds.  $1,000 collected.   Adam reached out to Texas Probation Officer’s Organization to locate a good recipient for funds.  Two departments were given that were hit the hardest.  Adam to reach out to see if a check could be cut to the State of Texas Probation Officer’s Organization and then have them disperse the money.

New Business

Committee Assignments: done-see each individual section.

Records Retention:  CJ reported this had all been updated and taken care of.

Juvenile Defense Strategic Planning Committee:  Susan B. reported no meetings yet and nothing to report.

Next Meeting 11/8/17 @ 10:30am at Marion County South office.

Reminder Upcoming POPAI Training