May 5, 2016

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 05/05/2016

12:01pm

Attending:

  • Linda Brady, President
  • Christine Kerl, Treasurer
  • Mignon Ware, Secretary
  • Robert Schuster, District 1 Rep
  • Sarah Lochner, District 3 Rep
  • Lakisha Fisher, District 4 Rep
  • C.J. Miller, District 5 Rep
  • Joe Hooker, District 6 Rep
  • Brian Sharp, District 7 Rep
  • Cherie Wood, District 8 Rep
  • Troy Hatfield, PO Advisory Board Rep
  • Greg Werich, Chief Exec Committee
  • Susan Rice, Training Coordinator

Secretary's Report

Linda asked if there were any questions, comments, or corrections regarding the April 2016 POPAI Board Meeting minutes.  No comments.  Cherie motions to accept.  Sarah seconds.  All in favor.  Motion carries.  Linda will ask Karen if the minutes can be printed in a format that is easier to read.

Treasurer's Report

Christine reports that the balance in checking as of April 30, 2016 is $65,669.46 and in savings as of April 30, 2016 is $17,035.90.  A quick review of the budget is presented.  Susan still needs to be paid for her work with the Management Institute otherwise all other expenses were paid.  Membership dues increased from the last report because several deposits were made.  Brian motions to accept.  CJ seconds.  All in favor.  Motion carries.

Membership

Linda reports that POPAI has 927 current members; 839 PO’s; 34 Corporate; other – i.e. students, support staff, etc.  Susan will generate a membership report prior to the June Board meeting for discussion.  She will also send a final email with the appropriate District Rep attached.

Education

Susan said good feedback was received from the 2016 Management Institute speaker.  She will review the evaluations and give a report at the June Board meeting.  Discussion.  There is no update on the Fall Conference.  A conference call will be scheduled for the Education Committee.  Plan to invite DOC to attend this year.  Discussion.  Linda suggested that we have a grant writing session at the Fall Conference.  More discussion at the June meeting.

Chief's Executive Committee

Greg said the Management Institute and CPO Summit went well.  The committee will meet for planning the 2017 training.  Christine said it was discussed at the JRAC meeting that the Fall Conference be opened up for the IACAC members.  Discussion.  Question presented about the funding received for training (w/ IJC) is it specific to PO’s or can those dollars be used to train other staff?

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

Kory – no report

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

Troy reports that Paula with the University of Cincinnati discussed workload measures. Data has been reviewed and been given some meaning. They are reviewing dosage and will be given feedback on what contacts should look like. Hot Topics Committee will work on this. The Education Committee worked hard on the IJC sessions offered as well as the long distance learning options. Sanctions and Incentives update given. Waiting to partner with IUPUI and the New PO Academy Technology is already available for long distance learning opportunities. IJC is looking into. Next meeting is the 2nd Tuesday in July. Sanctions and Incentives data collection should be wrapping up in June.

Election

Brian will send an email to Karen O. to post on the website.

Awards and Recognition

There is no scoring category for resume on the form used. The Committee will update. Karen is creating a space on the website for Board utilized documents. Sarah to get a picture with the Knepple Award winner to post on the website and Linda will attach an article.

Legislation

Linda reports that JRAC Legislature restored the County Misdemeanant Fund (HEA 1290) Tax Bill. No changes were made to the bill. It’s up to local county councils how the funds are used.

Ongoing discussion of the term “committing”. JRAC conference call occurred during the Management training. Currently there are two definitions being used. DOC legal department says that “committing” means convicted. New credit class for pretrial release while pending disposition of new crime. Serve 4 days and get 1 day credit. Discussion. DOC grant announcements made Monday June 20 10a-2p. Earmarked funds – unsure how they will be dispersed but will have presentations from a few counties.

Technology

Karen is working diligently to secure the POPAI website. Hosting contract was renewed for five years. Several job postings have been placed on the website. Discussion. GOAL: working on Board documents holding section. Karen to continue making enhancements to the website security.

Old Business

Pretrial Release Project: committee meeting for May 6, 2016 will be rescheduled for later in May. Hopes to merge with EBDM Committee to work together – meet in June. The next EBDM State Team meeting is Monday May 9. Indiana’s current technical assistance grant from NIC ends this June. Indiana is applying for a Phase VI EBDM grant.

New Business

None

Next Meeting June Board Meeting, in person June 8, 2016 at the Marion County South Probation Office. Adjourned at 12:47pm; Cherie motions, Brian seconds. All in favor.

Reminder Upcoming POPAI Training