December 2018

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 12/12/2018

Adam called the meeting to order at 10:35 a.m.

Attending:

  • Adam McQueen, President
  • Troy Hatfield, Vice-President
  • C.J. Miller, Treasurer
  • Cherie Wood, Secretary
  • Robert Schuster, District 1 Rep
  • Heather Malone, District 2 Rep
  • Sarah Lochner, District 3 Rep
  • Lakisha Fisher, District 4 Rep
  • Melanie Pitstick, District 5 Rep
  • Andria Geigle, District 6 Rep
  • Michael Coriell, District 7 Rep
  • Mignon Ware, District 8 Rep
  • Melonie Coan, PO Advisory Board Rep
  • Susan Rice, Training Coordinator
  • Kory George, JDAI Representative
  • Linda Brady, Past President

Secretary's Report

Adam asked if everyone had an opportunity to review the October Secretary’s Report. Bob moved to accept the October Secretary’s Report. Andria seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Treasurer's Report

C.J. emailed The Board the November Treasurer’s Report. As of November 30, 2018 the balance in checking was $119,789.48 and in savings $17,059.22. Cherie motioned to accept the Treasure’s Report. Sarah seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

CJ discussed the 2019 Budget Committee. Adam, Troy, Cherie, Bob and CJ will be on the budget committee. CJ will email the committee information and we will discuss the information before the January meeting.

Membership

Susan stated we currently have 972 members (897 POs, 21 Corporate, 54 Other).

Susan stated the renewal notices were emailed yesterday. She gave a special thank you to Karen for her work with the renewal process.

Education

Susan stated she received several emails after the orientation and stated it was the best training they have attended. We had 16 in attendance.

Susan emailed the management training and fall conference information to the board. She said there are a few items on the fall conference summary that she will discuss with CJ and then edit/update.

For the Management Institute we had 98 registered attendees and 20 corporate members. The total income was $12,975 and expenses $7,779.72.

For the Fall Conference we had 359 attendees and 26 corporate members. Once the official numbers are edited, the amounts will be stated. The approximate income for the conference was $77,000 and expenses approximately $67,000.

Discussion followed regarded about the 2019 budget and if Susan believes we need to increase any areas for future conferences. Many suggested offering a different lunch and possibly a breakfast on 2 days. We discussed offering the alcohol and drug hours/track for the fall conference. Discussion followed regarding potential speakers/topics as well.

Sarah discussed the “coaching” training for the Management Institute. She suggested Susan speak to the IOCS to determine their outlook for a leadership track. Sarah will continue to update everyone on the Static 99 Training. She has been discussing such with Angie Henson. If you have any other ideas/suggestions for training, please advise Susan.

Susan spoke to her contact from Belterra will be Monday, January 21, 2019. Board members will arrive on Sunday and conduct the tour on Monday. Susan will advise those who are interested in the details.

The 2019 POPAI Fall Conference will be September 4-5-6. The 2019 IOCS Conference will be August 6-7-8. The POPAI Management Institute will be April 11-12.

Chief's Executive Committee

Troy made a list from the breakfast meeting at French Lick. Most of the issues are ones that we need to discuss with IOCS. Troy suggested the POPAI Executive Board meet with the Advisory Board Executives/Chair to discuss the concerns. Sarah stated the start will be to make the Advisory Board more effective. Sarah will look into options and then advise everyone.

The next meeting will be Friday, January 25 in Peru.

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

Kory stated the upcoming 2019/2020 grant applications are due to DOC by January 19, 2019. A team from the State attended a meeting in Miami and presented 3 different sessions at the training. The State Executive Committee is reviewing and comparing the 2019 work plans.

In February there will be a training regarding adolescent domestic battery typology. Kory participated in the meeting that was held on October 11. He was asked to participate in a panel at the IU School of Law. Juvenile competency was discussed and the need for more officers in the field.

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

IOCS sent an email regarding the probation officer exam/notification and the update to the safety/security manual. Sarah discussed a recent case in Tippecanoe County regarding a search of a defendant in community corrections. Sarah will forward the information to the board.

Next meeting is in January.

Election

Andria asked when the website should be changed to 2019 election. Troy discussed and Andria will ask Karen to update in January.

Awards and Recognition

Bob discussed the 1006 scoring guide for the Charlie Knepple Scholarship. He asked the committee members review and send the others ideas on changes. Bob plans for us to discuss by the February Meeting.

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC)

The National Institute of Correction will continue to offer training on EBDM. They will provide technical assistance on how to implement in the State. That will be discussed at the meeting scheduled on 12/14. NIC contracts with Mimi Carter for different assistance.

The next JRAC Meeting will be on 12/20. A discussion at the last meeting concerned the option of sending Level 6 defendants to DOC. Susan asked if there will be any changes in the maximum amounts allowed for certain items in the 1006 grant. There is a new grant process, but Troy is unsure if it will be used in 2019.

Legislation

Troy stated the next session begins the first full week in January and it will be a budget year.

Technology

Karen will work on a transition to the website in December. She provided a full report to the board prior to the meeting.

Troy asked about advertising new positions on Facebook so Karen experimented with such. Troy said he had multiple applications, but when he requested additional information, only 2 out of the 34 people replied. If anyone wants to have a Facebook account for their agency, Karen has offered assistance, if needed.

Old Business

Troy stated we will need to meet again to discuss. The workload/caseload group does not have any updates.

New Business

Troy discussed a POPAI Representative on the EDBM Professional Development Committee. Michael volunteered to do so.

After March 2019, we will no longer be able to conduct our meetings at the Marion County Southside Office. We will continue to have the meetings in Indianapolis. The meetings as of May 2019 will be held at 465 N. Shadeland Avenue.

Troy stated he has received emails by APPA regarding the Executive Summit of Community Corrections Leaders. Troy discussed having Sarah attend since she will be attending the APPA Conference already. Bob motioned that POPAI fund the additional expense for Sarah to attend the Executive Summit in 2019.

Bob discussed the Supreme Court finding on Weida regarding sex offenders and the internet. He asked if there are other counties who have certain policies regarding such, to please share.

Bob stated he received a call from John Thorstad about some type of funding from POPAI for fellow officers who are battling cancer. Susan also discussed this with John and explained to the board. Troy asked if he would need to be cancer only or would be open to other major illnesses. Susan, Bob, Mignon and Melanie C. will discuss and advise the board. Melanie C. will be the chair of this committee.

Next Meeting The next meeting will be on Wednesday, January 9, 2018 at the Marion County South Office. Mignon motioned to adjourn. Melanie seconded. All were in favor, motion carried.

Reminder Upcoming POPAI Training