December, 2017

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 12/13/17

10:33am

Attending:

  • Adam McQueen, President
  • Troy Hatfield, Vice-President
  • C.J. Miller, Treasurer
  • Susan Bentley, Secretary
  • Robert Schuster, District 1 Rep
  • Steve Keele, District 2 Rep
  • Sarah Lochner, District 3 Rep
  • Andria Geigle, District 6 Rep
  • Michael Coriell, District 7 Rep
  • Cherie Wood, District 8 Rep
  • Melonie Coan, PO Advisory Board Rep
  • Greg Werich, Chief Exec Committee
  • Susan Rice, Training Coordinator
  • Kory George, JDAI Representative
  • Linda Brady, Past President

Secretary's Report

Melonie C. moved to accept and Cherie seconded. Motion carried-report accepted.

Treasurer's Report

CJ reported  Savings: $17,047.29 as of 11/30/17.  Checking: $ 70,426.19 as of 11/30/17.  Budget Report: sent prior.   Bob moved to approve treasurer report.  Andrea seconds.    All voted, motion carries. Budget committee previously met: CJ, Sarah, Adam and Troy.  CJ chaired.  Budget report sent out previously. Troy moved to accept budget, Sarah second. All voted, motion carried.  Representative will be sent to APPA Winter Conference in Houston in January, 2018.  CJ to garner interest and select.

Membership

As of 12/6/17: 954 total current members.   883 PO’s, 19 Corporate, 52 other.  Invoices have been sent out for membership dues for 2018.

Education

Management Institute confirmed for 4/12/18-4/13/18 at Drury Inn in Indianapolis.  Fall Conference in French Lick confirmed for 9/5/18-9/7/18.  Conference report sent by Susan Rice from Fall Conference.  Close to 20k was made at this conference-which is most that has ever been collected.

Chief's Executive Committee

1/12/18 meeting at 11am at the Dutch Café in Peru IN scheduled.

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

Kory George reported the grant applications for 2018-2019 are out and are due in January, 2018.  Total money available is approximately 1.9 million dollars.  Kory also reported the State team will be working an implementation for the race, equity, and inclusion action guide.  Susan reported next conditions of confinement meeting will be 1/25/18 and she will report back.

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

Next advisory board meeting will be 1/9/18.

Election

Melanie P absent.  No updates.

Awards and Recognition

Bob reported no update.

Evidence Based Decision Making (EBDM) Initiative

1/19/18 is next EBDM and JRAC meeting.

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC)

JRAC : Adam reported last JRAC meeting held 11/8/17 and discussed the Safe Harbor issue.

Safe Harbor:  involves moving someone from local jail to DOC due to being in danger in local jail.  (ex: informant, police officer, etc.) which mainly involves medical situations.  Currently these people are ineligible to go to DOC and this statute is looking at making them eligible.  The consensus was POPAI will support this.

Troy reported the grant application for DOC is out and due the end of January, 2018.  DMHA reported 20 million in spending for Recovery Works.  Adam discussed new rules for DOC funding for positions that was sent out in the email.  There is now a cap on these salaries and it will not fully fund a po position beyond 1 year of experience.  Adam sought permission to represent POPAI in questioning this rule.  All agreed.

Legislation

Adam reported nothing to report.

Technology

Karen sent her report. All aspects of the site are working well and she produced Department Invoices this month. She has plans to improve the workflow for invoice production and smooth out some concerns about email coming from our membership database.

Website visitor statistics were similar to our normal pattern with returning users about 60% and most looking at our Jobs page or articles.

The report concludes with the Board Article Submission Schedule.

Old Business

Strategic Plan:  Andria, Susan, Cherie, Sarah and CJ met 9/5/17 to get started on this and email went out to summarize this week what was developed.  All were to review and report back with feedback.    Adam will be sending out a summary of all thoughts and forming a draft.

Workload Measures: Troy reported he and Sarah met with Jane Siegel at IOCS for this study and they were very receptive.  Troy and Sarah to talked to IACCAC president Mary Brown about furthering this project.   IACCAC is supportive of doing something jointly and getting DOC on board as well.  Jane to talk to DOC about bringing them on board as well.   POPAI to remain the driving force on this project and will be oversight to make sure project is carried out efficiently.  Potential meeting with all parties in January, 2018.  Troy reported Jane got back with POPAI after speaking to Chief Justice and all are very supportive.

Policy and Procedure Bylaws: committee will meet and is made up of Troy, Adam, Michael, Sarah, and Melanie.  This will be tackled in January, 2018. Troy to send out meeting date.

Juvenile Defense Strategic Planning Committee:   No next meeting set at this time.

New Business

Lifetime Memberships:  Susan R. that this is to be requested through a regional rep and that rep would bring it to the board and then the board would vote on this.  Susan R. requested that she be allowed to bring these to the board when she comes across them as well, as some names have not been brought forward.  All approved.  Bilaws will be changed to reflect this.

Next Meeting 1/10/18 at 10:30am at Marion County Probation South Office.

Reminder Upcoming POPAI Training