October, 2018

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 10/10/2018

Adam called the meeting to order at 10:35 am.

Attending:

  • Adam McQueen, President
  • Troy Hatfield, Vice-President
  • C.J. Miller, Treasurer
  • Cherie Wood, Secretary
  • Robert Schuster, District 1 Rep
  • Heather Malone, District 2 Rep
  • Lakisha Fisher, District 4 Rep
  • Andria Geigle, District 6 Rep
  • Michael Coriell, District 7 Rep
  • Mignon Ware, District 8 Rep
  • Melonie Coan, PO Advisory Board Rep
  • Susan Rice, Training Coordinator
  • Kory George, JDAI Representative

Secretary's Report

Cherie asked if anyone had any comments regarding the September Secretary’s Report. CJ made a motion to accept. Heather seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Treasurer's Report

CJ provided the Treasurer’s Report. As of September 30, 2018, the balance in checking is $106,910.32 and balance in savings $17, 057.16. There are a few outstanding financial matters from the fall conference and will most likely be settled by the November meeting. Cherie made a motion to accept. Troy seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Membership

Susan stated as of October 4, we had 972 total members (890 probation officers, 20 corporate, 54 other). Susan said she had a request from Mark Funkhouser to become a lifetime member. Cherie motioned to elect Mark Funkhouser as a lifetime member. CJ seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried. Susan will notify Mark.

Education

The CPO Orientation will be October 24 (9-4, 7th floor @ IOCS), the 2019 Management Institute will be April 11 and 12 (Drury Inn) and 2019 Fall Conference will be September 4-6 (French Lick). Susan stated there are 17 registered for the CPO Orientation. Troy will discuss budgeting in the pm session. Susan will discuss the fall conference evaluations at the November meeting. If anyone has ideas for the Management Institute/CPO Summit, please advise Susan. Susan discussed ideas for the fall conference sessions and possibly offering an alcohol/drug track and/or a minimum potential hours for the a/d officers. Andria asked about the ability to pay for POPAI apparel with a credit card. Troy will talk to Karen about the different possibilities and then will discuss with the board. Troy suggested purchasing an iPad that would be used at the conferences for the transactions. Cherie discussed closing the registration area during certain times of the conference. CJ stated several officers from northern Indiana stated at the POAB Meeting, they would be interested in having the POPAI Fall Conference in that area. A discussion followed. It was suggested we poll the CPOs at the CPO Summit about the interest in the location of the fall conference. Susan talked to the contact person at Belterra regarding scheduling a visit/tour. A discussion followed. Susan will ask if January 20/21 (Martin Luther King Day) would be possible dates. Susan asked if those board members who are interested to advise her.

Chief's Executive Committee

Greg advised Troy he will coordinate a date for the CPOs to meet to discuss the 2019 conference. If interested in attending and/or being involved, please email Greg. Troy discussed a few of the comments at the CEO Meeting in French Lick. One, invite Justin and Mary Kay to one of our board meetings. Two, concern about the lack of regional meetings/training, IOCS website and the probation officer exam. It was suggested IOCS offer a master calendar to show all the future trainings offered by IOCS, DOC, etc. It was also requested that more information be given about the pretrial changes in 2019 and the programs that will be allowed for certified A/D Programs.

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

Kory stated the annual conference was held Sept 27-28. There were a variety of topics, including restorative justice, teen brain, use of data, etc. The State is in the selection process of reviewing JDAI sites for REI (racial and ethnic inclusion). There are 3 coordinators who will be visiting Santa Cruz for training. Kory has been added to the State Conditions of Confinement Workgroup.

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

Melanie reported hot topics discussed probation officers carrying handguns (who allows, training, etc). The goal is to have the new test/training material offered as of January 2019. The next orientation will be April 2019. Online modules will be offered in 2019. Safety and Security Guide passed and will be effective as of January 1, 2019. The last PO orientation had 64 officers in attendance. There is a proposal for new incentives/sanctions, which would be used for those departments who are certified as an incentives/sanctions site. The discussion will be included in the standards of probation.

Election

Melanie advised Troy she has not received any complaints regarding the election.

Awards and Recognition

Bob discussed the information to submit to APPA, but we do not have any name to send this year. Karen asked about the procedure so Bob will discuss with CJ for the actual process, if needed.

Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC)

Adam stated the last meeting was in August. There was a lot of discussion about moving away from the 1006 grant funding. DOC will be conducting the personnel audit of the 1006 grant recipients, between September and December 2018. Adam discussed the information that is to be received from the regional project manager. DMHA focused on Recovery Works and the money will be exhausted if more funding is not approved. The Sheriff’s Association (and others were in favor) asked for an increase in the per diem for the F6 defendants who are locally incarcerated. They also asked for implementing a retina scan system for all defendants entering the local jails. This month is the last Criminal Code Meeting that is scheduled.

Legislation

No report

Technology

Karen sent the technology report to the board prior to the meeting. She has talked to the APPA contact regarding website ideas.

Old Business

PPM-Bylaws – The bylaws have been updated. Some board members are meeting today on the strategic plan. Adam stated he believes we need to define measurable goals and how the membership is an asset to its members.

Juvenile Committee – Lakisha stated no report.

New Business

Bob will make adjustments to the current application process and will send to the other members of the a/r committee. Troy stated Susan Johnson would like feedback regarding the interview guide for probation officers. Troy will send her contact information to the board members. Adam discussed the March and August APPA Conference. The Board pays for hotel, flight and registration. CJ will send the information to the board members and those interested should notify him if interested.

Adam appointed the committee members for next year.
JDAI: Kory George
CEC: Greg Werich (Chair), Susan Rice and Troy Hatfield
A/R: Bob Schuster (Chair), CJ Miller, Michael Coriell, Cherie Wood and Andria Geigle
Membership: Michael Coriell (Chair), Andria Geigle, Melanie Pitstick, Susan Rice and Adam McQueen
Education: Cherie Wood (Chair), Susan Rice, Adam McQueen, CJ Miller, Sarah Lochner, Lakisha Fisher and Mignon Ware
Election: Andria Geigle (Chair), Heather Malone, Lakisha Fisher, and Mignon Ware
Legislation: Adam McQueen (Chair), Greg Werich, Sarah Lochner, CJ Miller, Linda Brady, Troy Hatfield, Michael Coriell and Heather Malone
Technology: Troy Hatfield (Chair), Adam McQueen, Cherie Wood, Susan Rice and Linda Brady
POAB: CJ Miller and Melanie Coan

Next Meeting The next meeting will be on November 14 @ 10:30 EDT at the Marion County Probation Officer Southside Office.

Andria motioned to adjourn and Michael seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Reminder Upcoming POPAI Training