July 9, 2014

POPAI Board Meeting Minutes for 07/09/14

Linda called the conference call meeting to order at 10:30 a.m.

Attending:

  • Linda Brady, President
  • Ryan Hull, Vice President
  • Christine Kerl, Treasurer
  • Jim Taylor, District 1 Rep
  • Steve Keele, District 2 Rep
  • Jesse Carlton, District 3 Rep
  • Lori White, District 5 Rep
  • Joe Hooker, District 6 Rep
  • Brian Sharp, District 7 Rep
  • Eric Zimmerman, Past President
  • Troy Hatfield, PO Advisory Board Rep
  • Susan Rice, Training Coordinator

Secretary's Report

Linda asked if everyone had an opportunity to review the June Secretary’s Report. Ryan moved to accept the June Secretary’s Report. Eric seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Cherie talked about the new template that Karen has made for the minutes. Cherie thanked Karen for her work on this and stated the initial view will be very helpful. She will try the new template for today’s meeting and evaluate afterwards.

Treasurer's Report

Christine provided The Board the June Report. As of June 30, 2014 the balance in checking was $35,102.59 and in savings (June 30, 2014) $17,029.17. Cherie motioned to accept the Treasurer’s Report. Brian seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried. Christine stated there was a substantial increase in membership dues that were received since the last meeting. Christine also provided the updated 2014 Budget information.

Membership

Susan stated the membership payments have been slow recently. She has made arrangements to have the POPAI mail forwarded to her. She will check the PO Box in Indy to make sure everything is being forwarded. Susan discussed the membership awards to be given for those at 10, 15, 20 and 25 years. A discussion followed as to what gifts to give and how to determine who will receive the awards. We have some members who would have been eligible for an award, but we have not given any in approximately 3 years. A discussion followed the best way to sort which members would be eligible for award. Susan believes she can decipher the information so we will have exact numbers. She will contact the Chief POs to see if the membership information is correct. Susan will run the reports as of September 1 for active members. She will then advise Jimmy so he can get a quote on the awards that we need. Once Susan has the numbers and quotes she will notify the Board of such. If a Board Member has an objection to her ordering the awards, they will notify Susan within 2 days. It was decided that new members will receive lapel pens.

Susan stated we have 2 new corporate sponsors. Ryan devised a new corporate membership plan which will involve certain additional advertisements and certain activities/speakers being sponsored. A discussion followed on if certain sponsorship will cause any conflicts. Christine said she received information from one corporate member who may be interested in sponsoring a reception.

Susan agreed to contact the corporate members again about sponsorship opportunities.

 

Education

Susan did not have an update on the 2014 New Chief POs’ Summit, but she will look into this. Susan is waiting to receive new potential dates from the contact at Sheraton for the 2015 Management Institute and Chief’s Summit. Susan will forward the potential date to the Board Members once she receives them.

Linda has talked to Jane Seigel about having a joint meeting with Community Correction Directors and Chief Probation Officers.

Susan stated we have 106 members who have registered for the fall POPAI meeting and 7 corporate members who have registered. She will send another email to the members as a reminder of the conference. Karen has sent Susan a list of emails that have bounced back.

Chief's Executive Committee

Greg was not available.

Juvenile Delinquency Alternative Initiative (JDAI) Update

Scott was not available, but Linda reported that on July 22-23, 2014, the Indiana Supreme Court—Indiana Judicial Center, the Indiana Department of Correction, the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute, the Indiana Department of Child Services and the Annie E. Casey Foundation will host the Inaugural JDAI Inter-Site Conference at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Indianapolis.  The next JDAI meeting is August 8th.  The JDAI counties have been asked to provide a team of 10 for the conference. The conference cost will be taken care of for those who attend. The next JDAI meeting will be August 8.

Probation Officer Advisory Board Update

The tentative dates for the 2015 PO Annual Meeting in Indianapolis are May 6th and 7th. Topics are being developed now. Regional meetings will likely focus on officer safety. Revisions to PO Orientation continue to be reviewed. The judges Probation Committee has requested the appointment a small committee of POs to advise them on subject matter for the PO Exam. This committee will convene in the next few months. Any changes will likely coincide to changes with PO Orientation. We are still waiting on a recertification process for IRAS/IYAS and on additional information on workload measures and contact standards. With the Standards wrapped up, the Supervision committee will be looking at revising the safety and security manual, providing a checklist for juvenile POs in order to meet all placement requirements, and explore free supervision tools that departments can use with offenders. The PI/PDR/Modification Reports in INcite is still being piloted and should be rolled out in the next few months. Representatives from probation, community corrections, problem solving courts, court alcohol and drug programs, and DOC are developing a case plan that can be completed in INcite after completing a risk assessment. JTAC will be developing this after the group compiles a list of needs. The incentives and sanctions group are wrapping up their pilot program and will be expanding this to six to ten counties in the near future. If you have an interest in being a part of the expansion, contact IJC. The community supervision grants were awarded by the IJC. The thirty-two applications requested about $7.5M in funding. Twelve were awarded a total of $2M, which exhausted the funds available. IJC will be using the information in the applications not funded as evidence of need for additional funding in the next legislative session. There will be an informational meeting at IJC on August 18th about joining an Evidence Based Decision Making project. IJC has received technical assistance from NIC to develop this model in four to six jurisdictions over the next several years. Grant County has been heavily involved in this project and began this process several years ago. A pretrial and bail committee that has probation representative in looking for pilot counties to begin developing a new process for establishing bail and other pretrial orders. EPICS training has occurred in 12 counties so far with another 15 on the agenda. Once these are trained there will be about 420 POs trained in EPICS across the state. IJC is also going to put out applications for train the trainers on case management. This will be similar to how they are training IRAS/IYAS trainers. Trainers will need to commit to provide the training a few times per year.

Election

The Intent to Run Forms were submitted to the Election Committee Chair Lori White. Lori stated there is an issue that one individual is not a current POPAI member. Lori spoke to that individual and that person has now submitted membership dues. It seems as if there was a change with that county concerning the payment of membership dues and that person was not aware the county did not pay the dues. The Election Committee’s recommendation was that the slate be approved with all persons who submitted Intent To Run forms on the state. Linda will advise Karen to put the slate on the website.

The current POPAI by-laws do not state, nor does the Intent to Run Form, that persons running for a position must me a current member. Linda will send an email to Don Travis and Eric Zimmerman regarding the historical view of Board Members being a current member. Ryan said he talked to Don yesterday and Don stated he thought it was in the By Laws. Linda said she can review the previous By Laws and perhaps it was accidentally deleted. By-laws Committee Chair Troy Hatfield said the By-Laws Committee approved changing the language to adding the requirement that Board members must be POPAI members. Troy made a motion to include in the By-Laws (section VII and VIII/part A, section 2) “and be POPAI Member or Life Member and in good standing.” Seconded. Motion passed.

Awards and Recognition

Jimmy discussed a potential candidate for the Founder’s Award. Jimmy will advise Karen to put the Founder’s Award information on the website. The Founder’s Award recipient does not have to be a probation officer. Linda stated Jimmy will need to order the awards for those Board Members who will be leaving the Board or changing positions on the Board. A discussion followed regarding the Rookie Probation Officer of the Year Award. It was decided that would be open for anyone who is certified as of September 2012.

Legislation

Linda stated we had a good meeting with POPAI lobbyist Glenna Shelby. Linda received a letter from Speaker Brian Bosma that she is now appointed to the Interim Study Committee on Corrections and Criminal Code. Linda is very excited that POPAI will be involved with this committee. Linda stated there is still some confusion about home detention credit time (day for day). These changes occurred as of July 1, but it seems as if there are different interpretations of the new home detention credit time law. Linda will keep us posted as to any changes.

Technology

Ryan stated Karen has done a lot of work since our last meeting. We can now see who is looking at our website and what they are viewing. It is encouraging that we have many people viewing the site. Ryan stated the Membership Forum is now working, but is not live. Karen will be on vacation soon so when she returns she will make that portion live. Linda stated Karen sends emails daily as to updates and such. Karen is also backing up the information so if there is an issue she will still have the information.

Old Business

Linda talked about the contracts we currently have in place and if there is anything we need to change/alter. Linda suggested we should pay an attorney to review them so we will know we are handling things correctly. Ryan had an informal discussion with an attorney about our contracts and that attorney suggested we should have more general information, fewer specific duties, in the contracts. It was suggested that we not have specific deadlines in the contracts. Karen, our website administrator, plans to attend our POPAI Fall Conference. A discussion followed. Linda will look into the cost for an attorney to review the contracts. Joe said he could provide a name to her if she needs someone to ask about reviewing them. The hope is to have the contracts updated by the September POPAI Board Meeting.

New Business

Ryan stated Susan advised him a few members have been ordering items from LOGO but have not received the items yet. Ryan communicated with LOGO and LOGO wants to continue to work with POPAI. LOGO offered one option about the ordering of items from the website. A few Board Members have contacted other vendors to see what the charge would be for such. Ryan will continue to investigate this and keep us advised.

Linda will update the website with the By-Law changes. Linda stated she received an email from an officer who was upset about the fall conference being in French Lick again. A discussion followed. Linda asked how many will be attending the APPA Conference. At this time, Linda and Susan will be attending APPA.

Next Meeting The next meeting will be on Wednesday, August 13. At this time, we will have an in person meeting, but will make the decision by August 7. Jimmy motioned to adjourn and Ryan seconded. All were in favor. Motion carried.

Reminder Upcoming POPAI Training The Annual Fall Conference will be on September 3, 4 and 5.