Nominations for for “Founder’s Award”, “Line Probation Officer of the Year”, and “Rookie Probation Officer of the Year” will be accepted until August 7, 2017.
The Awards will be presented during the Lunch / Business Meeting at the 2017 POPAI Conference at the French Lick Resort in French Lick, IN.
Winners of the “Probation Line Officer of the Year” and “Rookie Probation Officer of the Year” will be presented a plaque, their 2018 POPAI Conference Registration Fees Membership Dues for 2018 paid courtesy of the POPAI Board.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact CJ Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-776-6800
Modern Healthcare on 07/10/2017 by Steven Ross Johnson
June was another rough month in Manchester, N.H. Over the course of 30 days, there were 99 suspected opioid overdoses, six of which were fatal. That’s the most overdoses in a month so far in 2017, according to Christopher Stawasz, regional director of emergency medical services provider American Medical Response.
It’s the continuation of a dangerous trend for any city, let alone one with a total population of 110,000. From January to July 4, there were 419 suspected opioid overdoses, compared with roughly 400 for the same period last year. And for all of 2016, there were 787 suspected overdoses, 90 of which were deadly, according a report issued by Mayor Theodore Gatsas.
Similar to their counterparts in Colorado, Ohio, Washington—or anywhere in the nation, for that matter—public health leaders in Manchester are searching for any innovative intervention that can help turn the tide. They may have found one.
Last April, after a paramedic helped a colleague’s relative get treatment for his addiction, the city launched the Safe Station Program. Now, all 10 of Manchester’s firehouses are a safe haven where people struggling with addiction can seek assistance. Paramedics are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to conduct a full medical evaluation before transporting the patient to a local hospital’s emergency department or a treatment facility.
The process takes less than 15 minutes, Stawasz said. That’s compared to the weeks or even months it sometimes takes to get treatment. A recent New England Journal of Medicine study showed that only 21% of people addicted to opioids in the U.S. received any treatment between 2009 and 2013.
“You’ve got a very small window of time when people are willing to go for that help,” Stawasz said. “The beauty of this program is that it captures them when they are most willing to get the help, and it gives it to them very quickly.”
From May 2016 to June 2017, more than 1,800 people sought help through Safe Stations. All of them went to either an emergency room or treatment facility. There is no threat of arrest or judgment, according to those running the program. The program has been credited with reducing the number of emergency calls due to overdose by 30%, according to Stawasz.
It’s been so successful that the seven fire stations in Nashua, N.H., adopted the program last November. Nashua has its fair share of problems, too: 31 opioid overdoses resulting in four deaths in June and a 28% jump in suspected opioid overdose deaths between January and June. Between November and June, 576 people made use of the Nashua Safe Station program.
On the other side of the country in northwest Washington state, public health officials are taking an equally unorthodox approach to combating an opioid crisis.
“In this epidemic that’s spiraling out of control, we should take advantage of every tool that we possibly can,” said Dr. Jeff Duchin, public health officer for King County, Wash.
Last year, Duchin co-chaired a task force created by Seattle Mayor Ed Murray to address the opioid epidemic. One controversial recommendation was to set up sites where drug users, under supervision of a health professional, could inject illegal drugs. The idea is to not only monitor the addict, thus lowering the risk of an overdose, but also connect them with treatment when they are ready. The site would also provide sterile needles to reduce the spread of infectious diseases such as HIV or hepatitis through shared needles.
About 100 such sites currently operate in more than 60 cities around the world.
Federal and state laws prohibit safe injections sites in the U.S., but some cities are considering them and the American Medical Association’s House of Delegates in June voted to endorse some safe site pilot programs. The Massachusetts Medical Society is also supportive. MMS President Dr. Henry Dorkin said safe injection sites have worked in other countries. The organization began examining applying the same approach in the U.S. after other more widely accepted actions such as needle exchanges and naloxone failed to reverse the rising number of overdose deaths. City leaders in Philadelphia, San Francisco and Ithaca, N.Y., have all proposed them—while raising concerns over the perceived acceptance of illegal behavior.
FB02LStudies of sites in Australia, Germany and the Netherlands show reductions in overdoses, crime and risky behaviors.
“There is still this fundamental, ingrained thought that it’s just something about the person and it’s not an illness,” said Dr. Michal Frost, director of internal medicine at the Horsham Clinic, a behavioral health facility in Ambler, Pa. He believes that’s stifled innovation.
Indeed, the last new opioid addiction treatment approved by the Food and Drug Administration was buprenorphine in 2002. The drug had been on market since 1981 when it was first used as a pain-relieving replacement for morphine. Naltrexone, which commonly goes by the brand name Vivitrol or Revia, has been approved as a treatment for heroin since 1984, and methadone has been in use since the late 1940s.
Most new medications are simply a variation in the way buprenorphine, naltrexone, naloxone or some combination of those compounds, are delivered.
Frost said there’s been research to develop a vaccine that could use the body’s own immune system to nullify the effects of opioids, but that innovation is years from being ready for use.
Patient advocates hope that President Donald Trump’s policies will cut regulations that tie doctors’ hands in treating addiction and support new ways to make maintenance treatment more accessible. Thus far, the administration’s most visible step has been creating a panel tasked with evaluating new and proven options. The commission missed its deadline to submit an initial report recommending federal approaches that can be taken to combat the opioid epidemic.
To sign up for updates to this Forum, log in then click HERE.
Updates will include:
- Minutes/Materials from Indiana Statewide EBDM Policy Team.
- Minutes/Materials from six (6) statewide EBDM Work Groups. Groups meet monthly to work on specific areas of EBDM.
Indiana EBDM Work Groups:
(1) Pretrial – Chairs: Judge Surbeck (Allen County) and Larry Landis (Public Defender Council).
Concentration: SAMPLE Pretrial Program documents, policies, procedures.
(2) Professional Development – Chairs: Jane Seigel (IOCS) and Julie Lanham (DOC)
Concentration: Training for EBDM and Pretrial projects.
(3) Data – Chairs: Dave Murtaugh (ICJI) and Lisa Thompson (Court Technology)
Concentration: Collecting and analyzing data for EBDM, Pretrial projects, and Justice Reinvestment Advisory Council (JRAC)
(4) Mental Health – Chair: George Brenner (LCSW)
Concentration: Working toward more mental health (includes addiction) treatment services for EBDM, Pretrial projects, and JRAC.
(5) Risk Reduction Strategies – Chairs: Dan Miller (Indiana Prosecuting Attorneys Council) and Mary Kay Hudson (IOCS)
Concentration: How to include EBDM into plea negotiations and sentencing.
(6) Behavioral Responses – Chair: Chris Cunningham (IACCAC)
Concentration: Sanctions/responses for pretrial misbehavior, use of incentives for pretrial, bail guidelines.
If you are logged in, you can go to the Indiana Evidence Based Decision Making Initiative and Pretrial Pilot Project Forum now.
Problems? If you get “file not found” errors with some of these links, you probably are not logged in. Contact Karen at email@example.com if you need a user account.
2017 POPAI Fall Conference Downloadable Document
We are again returning this year to the French Lick Resort.
We will be offering a variety of breakout sessions, a few of which are highlighted in the online materials. More specific information regarding all of the additional topics to be included will be coming soon. Our vendors have some special activities planned for us this year including another dinner celebration on Wednesday evening and a couple of escape rooms on Thursday afternoon.
We did add some rooms to our room block this year, but I still encourage you to make your room reservations early if you need a specific type of room (double vs. single).
All of the information you need to register and reserve rooms should be included in the downloadable document or our conference web page. Please note that we are again offering an Early Bird special for those who register prior to August 9th, 2017. We do not need to receive payment prior to the 9th, just the registration form. We have also added a link to PayPal for those who might wish to pay with a credit card.
Registration for the conference is available online by following the link below:
Please share with those in your office who are either not current POPAI members or those who do not receive electronic communications. Additionally, please do NOT share this message with vendors. They will receive separate communications which direct them to a different registration site specifically for Corporate Members.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions. We hope to see all of you in September!
Susan Rice, Training / Conference Planner
on 07/10/2017 by Adam Gelb and Barbara Broderick
Any parent can tell you that timeouts, groundings, and other punishments only go so far in encouraging good behavior.
If kids are scolded over and over again, the reprimands can lose their effect: Walls go up, and cooperation goes down. But throw in a few high-fives or thumbs-ups to recognize a nice job clearing the dishes or picking up after a baby sister, and attitudes may brighten — and actions may begin to improve.
It’s basic human behavior, the circuitry of motivation. Everybody needs to hear words of encouragement — including those in our criminal justice system.
Indianapolis Star on 7/11/17 by Madeline Buckley
The FBI has opened a civil rights investigation into the police shooting of Aaron Bailey, an unarmed black man who was killed last month by Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officers.
IMPD Chief Bryan Roach said Tuesday that the Police Department asked for the FBI’s assistance because the community wants an independent review. He and Mayor Joe Hogsett have stressed transparency in their own inquiry.
“I have every confidence in our investigation,” Roach said. “At the same time, I understand there are people in our community who don’t.”
Bailey, 45, was shot and killed by Officers Michal P. Dinnsen and Carlton J. Howard after a chase that followed a traffic stop on the city’s north side around 2 a.m. June 29. The officers, who joined the department in 2014, are on administrative leave. Neither has a disciplinary record.
The shooting was decried by pastors with the Indianapolis Congregation Action Network and other community leaders, who are calling for the officers to be fired and prosecuted. Advocacy group Don’t Sleep called for justice in a rally last month, and at least one more rally is planned Saturday at the Indiana Statehouse while the Indiana Black Expo Summer Celebration is underway Downtown.
Tony Mason, president of the Indianapolis Urban League, said he was “pleased” to hear about the federal civil rights inquiry.
“We want to make sure the process is as transparent as possible,” Mason said.
Others offered a more cautious perspective.
Dominic Dorsey, president of Don’t Sleep, said the group has been calling for a review from an unbiased third party. He noted that IMPD administrators and the mayor’s office have a close relationship with the FBI’s Indianapolis field office.
Hogsett served as the U.S. attorney for the Southern District before being elected mayor in 2015.
Dorsey said he hopes the investigation does not rely solely on information that IMPD provides to agents.
“The magnitude of what happened is not lost on Chief Roach,” Dorsey said, though he added that “only time will tell” how effective the FBI review is.
In addition to IMPD’s inquiry, the Marion County prosecutor’s office also is investigating.
FBI spokeswoman Chris Bavender said the FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Indiana will run a “parallel investigation” at the request of IMPD.
“The FBI will collect all available facts and evidence and will ensure that the investigation is conducted in a fair, thorough and impartial manner,” she said in a Tuesday statement.
The FBI’s civil division investigates use of excessive force and other alleged violations by law enforcement, as well as hate crimes and human trafficking, among other matters.
Washington Post on 07/12/2017 by Carolyn Thompson
After three defendants fatally overdosed in a single week last year, it became clear that Buffalo’s ordinary drug treatment court was no match for the heroin and painkiller crisis.
Now the city is experimenting with the nation’s first opioid crisis intervention court, which can get users into treatment within hours of their arrest instead of days, requires them to check in with a judge every day for a month instead of once a week, and puts them on strict curfews. Administering justice takes a back seat to the overarching goal of simply keeping defendants alive.
“The idea behind it,” said court project director Jeffrey Smith, “is only about how many people are still breathing each day when we’re finished.”
Funded with a three-year $300,000 U.S. Justice Department grant, the program began May 1 with the intent of treating 200 people in a year and providing a model that other heroin-wracked cities can replicate.
Two months in, organizers are optimistic. As of late last week, none of the 80 people who agreed to the program had overdosed, though about 10 warrants had been issued for missed appearances.
Buffalo-area health officials blamed 300 deaths on opioid overdoses in 2016, up from 127 two years earlier. That includes a young couple who did not make it to their second drug court appearance last spring. The woman’s father arrived instead to tell the judge his daughter and her boyfriend had died the night before.
The Indiana Lawyer on July 12, 2017 by Marilyn Odendahl
An agreement between the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana and the city of Indianapolis will stop the Marion County Sheriff’s Department from detaining immigrants for the federal government.
The stipulated final judgment and order for permanent injunction was filed Monday in the case, Antonio Lopez-Aguilar v. Marion County Sheriff’s Department, et al., 1:16-cv-2457, pending in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana. Judge Sarah Evans Barker has not yet signed the document.
Under the terms of the agreement, the Marion County Sheriff’s office will no longer seize and detain individuals based solely on a request from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement or based on removal orders from an immigration court. ICE must supply either a warrant signed by a judge or show probably cause that the person has committed a criminal offense in order for the sheriff’s officials to act.
Lopez-Aguilar filed a complaint in September 2016, claiming the Marion County Sheriff’s Department violated his Fourth Amendment rights by arresting and holding him in the local jail without being charged with a criminal offense. Local law enforcement detained him only at the request of federal immigration officials.
A resident of Allen County, Lopez-Aguilar had traveled to Indianapolis to appear in Marion County Traffic Court on Sept. 18, 2014, for a misdemeanor charge of operating a vehicle without a license. The case was closed after the hearing and he was not ordered to be incarcerated.
Lopez-Aguilar contends that after his court appearance, a sergeant from the sheriff’s department took him into custody and placed him in the Marion County Jail. The next day, Lopez-Aguilar was turned over to ICE.
He was subsequently released on his own recognizance while his immigration case is pending.
The Marion County Sheriff’s Department disputes it seized Lopez-Aguilar. The defendants claim the sheriff’s sergeant merely asked Lopez-Aguilar to walk to an area behind the courtroom where an ICE agent took him into custody.
As part of the stipulated judgment, Lopez-Aguilar is dropping his claims for damages and attorney fees as well as his state-law tort claims of false arrest and imprisonment.